SUPER EASY SAUERKRAUT RECIPE (VIDEO)
- cabbage 3-4 kg
- salt 2 tbsp (30 ml or 45 g)
- carrot (big) 1 pc
- garlic 5 cloves
- cranberries 2 tbsp (30 ml) (fresh, frozen or dried)
- cummin 1 tbsp (15 ml)
Very large mixing bowl
Big vegetable knife or shredder AND safety gloves(!)
MAGiC BOX 6,4l or fermentation jar / glass jar
Let's make it, it is easy:
- Discard outer leaves of the cabbage
- Cut the cabbage into quarters and trim out the core
- Slice each quarter down its length, making 8 wedges
- Slice each wedge crosswise into very thin ribbons or use shredder
- Transfer the cabbage to a big bowl and sprinkle the salt over top
- Work the salt into the cabbage by massaging and squeezing the cabbage with your hands
- Mix in cranberries, garlic, cummin and carrot
- Transfer everything (liquid too) into MAGiC BOX / fermentation container or glass jar
- Press tight with pickle packer / vegetable tamper
- Ferment in room temperature first 2-4 days, then transfer to fridge.
Tip and tricks:
Over the next 2 days, open your MAGiC BOX and press down on the cabbage every so often with the pickle packer. As the cabbage releases its liquid, it will become more limp and compact and the liquid will rise over the top of the cabbage
If after one day the cabbage is dryish and there is no liquid above it, dissolve 1 teaspoon of salt in 1 cup of water and add enough to submerge the cabbage
Start tasting after 5 days. Youmame team prefers it after 14 days
Make it all year round!
Did you know?
Cummin is added in sauerkraut to reduce stomach gas
Carrots are added to give a bit sweetness and yellowish colour
Garlic kills unwanted bacteria that can spoil your batch
Cranberries add extra vitamin boost
Due to the fermentation, sauerkraut offers nutrition and health benefits far beyond those of fresh cabbage. It provides probiotics and vitamin K2, which are known for their health benefits, and many other nutrients.
Eating sauerkraut may help you strengthen your immune system, improve your digestion, reduce your risk of certain diseases, and even lose weight.
Sauerkraut contains probiotics that are essential for a person's gut bacteria. Probiotics may have an impact on arthritis-related inflammation by improving inflammation in the intestinal tract.
Sauerkraut can last 4 months in a fridge and up to 6 months or even longer if kept in refrigerator in MAGiC BOX